Wednesday 19 October 2011

Short day trip to Patan

Sooo... two more days till we leave on our trek. Kiersten and I have been spending most of our time just chilling: going to coffee shops, reading, and gathering last minute gear and supplies that we need for our trek. In case I don't end up posting on the blog before I leave (although I might) you can view our trek itinerary here. I will also be using our SPOT device extensively so if you are curious where we are day to day, click the link on the side bar. The trek ends around November 25th, so check back here a few days after that and if I survived, chances are there will be some pics posted.

The day before yesterday Kiersten and went to one of the last major areas we wanted to make sure we that we saw before we left Kathmandu: Patan. Patan (another UNESCO world heritage site) is basically a southern suburb of Kathmandu located across the Bagmati river with a Durbar square of it's own. After gaining some serious confidence riding bikes in Kathmandu on previous trips and with the folks from Himalaya singletrack, Kiersten and I decided that we ride there instead of take a taxi. The ride proved slightly more intense than we first expected for a couple reasons. First of all I forgot to bring both the cycling map, and the lonely planet guide, so rather than knowing exactly where we were going, I instead had a vague idea. Secondly, all our previous rides in Kathmandu either took place during the Dasain festival when 60% of the permanent residents were in the countryside visiting there families (hence low traffic), or during 6am when our usual mountain bike rides would begin. So it is an understatement to say that the traffic was like nothing I have ever experienced riding anywhere in Canada. Rules (if there are any) don't really seem like they are taken all that seriously... in a way it kind of reminded me of technical downhill mountain biking: pick a line and then commit, otherwise you're fucked. Anyways, after getting lost and asking for directions we managed to find our way to Patan with much less trouble than I first anticipated.

Because we had slept in and had leisurely breakfast, we didn't get to Patan until later than we anticipated, so we made our way to the Durbar square and made the best of the time we had. I personally found Durbar square in Patan more impressive than the one near Thamel. There was a much greater variety temples to behold, and many more to see. Even out of the main square it would seem that you would stumble upon ancient temple, stupa, or carving every couple blocks without even trying. Again, I could try and describe the place but I think instead I will let the pictures do the talking.

The main Durbar square area in Patan

The masks and artwork also seemed to be of a higher quality than the stuff that is for sale in Thamel. It's hard to tell but the mask seen below was about four or five times the size of a regular head, and the style is typical to much of what is available in area.


Buddha where you at?

Elephants are cool


We ended up having lunch in old building with similar architecture to many of the surrounding temples. The food was overpriced (for Nepal) but that view was worth it.

View from our restaurant window

I ate a chicken sizzler, it was nice

The beams holding up the rooftops of many the temples where intricately carved like the one below.

Octo-buddha


My favorite statue of the day... I like the violent ones


I almost didn't add this picture because it does not do the traffic the least bit of justice

The ride home during rush hour proved even more "exciting" than the ride there. Upon safe arrival, Kiersten and went straight to the bar to celebrate the fact that we were still living and to calm our nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment